Yescomusa: Cinco De Mayo Traditions and Safe Party Ideas For 2021
Virtual Cinco De Mayo Celebration Ideas
Cinco De Mayo is a Mexican holiday that celebrates the 1862 Mexican army’s victory over the French. Traditionally, this date is recognized all over the world through annual Mexican feasts, lavish parties, and warm gatherings. However, 2021 has presented a new normal that might make it difficult to make restaurant reservations or otherwise celebrate like we normally would. If you’re stuck at home, you have more time to learn about the holiday and practice respectful traditions. Luckily, Yescomusa is here for you with our virtual Cinco De Mayo celebration ideas!
Listen To A Cinco De Mayo Playlist
Now is the time to appreciate new music! Use Amazon Music Unlimited or Spotify to introduce yourself to new tunes. Mark your favorite songs and add them to your personal playlist! Expanding your taste in music is a great way to broaden your cultural knowledge and explore sounds you’ve never heard. A wide understanding of music will inspire creative thoughts, ideas, and ambitions.
Decorate! Decorate! Decorate!
From papel picado to streams there are a myriad of traditional decorations that are used to celebrate this holiday. Some of these decorations include:
Mexican Flags. The Mexican flag contains three virtual stripes. The green stripe represents the Independence Movement. The white stripe, with the national coat of arms in the center, represents purity and the Catholic faith. The final red stripe symbolizes the Spaniards joining the journey toward Independence and the blood of the national heroes.
Pinatas. In the Mexican Catholic culture the pinata represents the struggle of man against temptation. Mexican pinatas are traditionally built with seven points that symbolize the deadly sins. The candy and pots represent evil and the person with the stick represents blind faith! Spinning and turning the person around represents the confusion temptation causes. When the pinata bursts, it represents the triumph of good versus evil and the reward for keeping faith.
Paper Lanterns. Paper lanterns are a staple for any traditional Cinco De Mayo party! Most party lanterns use the colors green, white, and red, to represent the Mexican flag. Paper lanterns can also be made at home using paper, ribbons, and smaller battery-operated lights.
Cascarones. Cascarones are confetti-filled false eggs that are decorated in bright colors and are placed throughout the party or as a table centerpiece. Cascarones are seen at many Mexican celebrations and can be used in traditional Cinco De Mayo decoration.
Enjoy a Mexican Dish
No one can resist a flavorful taco or a hearty stuffed burrito but there are many other delightful delicacies the Mexican tradition has to offer us. Some of our favorites include this savory beef empanada recipe! To get the right amount of golden brown crisp we recommended using our heavy duty countertop deep fryer. This not only makes cooking easy, but it will save you time during the clean up. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Deep Fryer (suggested)
- Empanada Dough
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup each chopped onions and green peppers
- 3 slices of smoked ham
- 2 tbsp. Zesty Italian dressing
- 2 tbsp. Tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup oil
- Flatten and prepare the Empanada dough then set it aside
- Cook ground beef in a medium skillet until brown. Place onions, peppers, ham, dressing, tomato sauce, and garlic in the mix then stir. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat, then stir in cilantro.
- Form the dough into about 12 balls. Flatten each ball into a 6 inch circle. Place 1/4th cup of mean in the center. Wet the edges with water then fold the dough tightly to remove all the air pockets. Use a fork to seal the edges.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F. Cook empanadas for 3 minutes each or until golden brown on both sides. Place on a paper towel to drain properly and enjoy when cooled.
Check out our other Deep Fried Recipes
- Griddle and Deep Fried Easter Snacks
- Get Ready for Oktoberfest: Traditional Deep-Fried Bavarian Foods
- The Best Unique Easter Dinner Ideas
Enjoy A Refreshing Margarita
There is no question that margaritas are the perfect Cinco De Mayo adult beverage! There are many margarita recipes but there is nothing like that classic! To make sure you get the best icy refreshness from your beverage use our heavy duty shaved ice maker! Our favorite margarita recipe includes:
⅓ cup Tequila
¼ cup Grand Marnier
5 Tablespoons of fresh lime juice
½ cup of simple syrup
3 cups crushed ice
Kosher salt for the glass’s rim
- Combine tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice and simple syrup then allow to chill before serving
- Use a fresh lime to line the rim of the glass then coat with Kosher salt
- Add shaved ice to the mixture and stir
- Pour into glass and serve immediately
Have A Zoom Party
We may still be physically distancing, but that does not mean that we can’t be together! Through the power of technology we are able to visit our loved ones, regardless of where they reside! Use your computer to travel all over the world and visit your loved ones. Share your favorite traditional music or margarita recipes! These days we may be forced to be apart but we can still enough our time with one another.
Save More This Summer With Yescomusa
We all know that during these times, the new normal is different. Step into the new year better than ever before. Honor the time you have with your loved ones, safely, and remember- a little creativity can go a long way.
- Marc Mendoza